Website

Wednesday 18 September 2013

Long hair = Beauty. Hmmmm, Really?

Ok Pink Ink fans and the rest of the World, I have a question for you.    Why do so many people love women with long hair?  For anyone who knows me, you will know that I LOVE to change my look – almost daily.  How you ask?  I change my hair – sometimes I will have my natural fro, a ponytail, twists, or wear a wig.  I love the versatility we as women have with our hair!
  But I have to say, the look that gets the most talk and stares are the looks with the long hair!  Let me tell you a story.  One morning I went for a walk – nothing new – and I wore a new wig that is long and silky and has loose curls.  The ten minutes it took me to walk to my chiropractor I got a honk from a driver, a whistle and a number of stares - all before 9am.  A fluke you say?  Well anytime I wear wigs with long hair I get compliments.  It can be long and silky or long and curly.  It can be in a ponytail and long or it can be frizzy and long - the constant - length!  What's up with that?
“Oh Jen, it’s just you.  Maybe you just look better with long hair”.  Well I’d agree with you IF it was just me.    As a child, I observed quickly that many Jamaicans (my parent’s generation) equated long hair with beauty as demonstrated by the many aunts, uncles and friends who would constantly comment on my long, thick hair and have very few comments for my friend who had short hair.   Most of the magazine covers I see in the line at the grocery store have models or actresses with long hair.  The media today portrays long luscious hair with beauty and health.  Don't believe me?  Just check out all the Revlon, L’Oreal, and Garnier commercials!  How many of them have ladies with short hair?  I’m not saying they don’t have any, I’m just saying I haven’t seen any.
No worries, I won’t be getting a complex anytime soon.  I love my hair – all the different ways that I wear it – long, short, silky and frizzy.  I even love the hair that I have that I didn't grow!!  Thank you to my ladies making a buck off of selling their long hair.  It's all good!  I’m confident enough in myself to be alright with whatever hairstyle I want to sport on any particular day.  However, I’m just intrigued with the belief that long = beauty.  Hmmmmm? What do you think?


Keep in mind that I’m not complaining, I’m just making an observation.   I know ladies who would rather cut off an arm before they cut their hair and that’s ok.  But I want to send a shout out to all my girls with short hair – be fierce, be beautiful, be you!!!


Yours in Beauty,

Pink Ink
#pinkink

9 comments:

  1. I have to say that I absolutely love long hair although I truly admire women with short hairstyles and think they look amazing but when I picture myself with the same style I don't see the same amazement lol. I think hairstyle is all a matter of what makes you feel more confident and you are beautiful in whatever way you choose to wear it:) Thanks so much for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - it's all about personal preference and what makes you feel good! If you ever want to try short and not make it permanent invest in a wig! Half the time people don't know the difference. Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I had long hair pretty much all my life ... most of the time I did not have time to do anything with it so it was either up in a pony tail, twisted into a knot or up in a bun. So last year I cut it back to shoulder length bob and my spouse was 'shocked' ... not sure why MEN put so much stock in long hair but initially he was kinda ticked about not having consulted him ~ hmm pretty sure I do not get much voice when he grows an itchy beard or mustache. However the relieve on my neck and shoulders from the lack of weight from my hair was AMAZING! I have not had a tension headache since! Cutting your hair is like getting a tattoo ... once is never enough ;) I have since gone even shorter ~ I love my short hair now. Fun, flirty and easy to style in different ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how our significant other thinks we have to consult them about our hair. Mine was the same way!! I suppose it shows they care right? I'm glad you had great experience with your hair. I understand how long hair can be one more thing to do when you're getting ready to go out. I LOVE my short hair for that - get up and go and still look great! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Your observations are spot on - as a child, I wasn't 'allowed' to get my hair cut. My dad always wanted me to have long hair, and now my husband prefers my hair long too (even though it was super short when we first met). I'm not sure what it is about long hair that so many men are attracted to. It is nice to have the versatility to change your look though which is what I can do with my long hair now - like you mentioned, I can wear it down straight, wavy, or put it up, depending on my mood. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pine for gorgeous long hair! But, I rarely seem to get there, or know what to do with it when I do! I'm a short hair girl ALL the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like the other comments, my hubby actually cried when I cut my hair :) It's long now, but sometimes I tease him. "If you don't empty the garbage I'll chop on inch off my hair. Cut the grass or it's two inches. "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I literally laughed out loud when I read this! Thanks for sharing!!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! If you leave us a question we will respond within 48hrs! You can also email us at pinkink.brand@gmail.com and tweet @pinkink3